Soft with a velvety crumb, unapologetically rich, & covered with creamy Orange Luisella
This chocolate cake is extra moist, deeply flavourful, unapologetically rich, & covered with creamy Orange Luisella Chocolate Spread.
Our recipe is for two layers, but can be made as three layers or as a sheet cake.
- 1 and 3/4 cups (220g) all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 3/4 cup (65g) unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 and 3/4 cups (350g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature*
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 jar of Orange Luisella Chocolate Spread
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease two 9-inch cake pans, line with parchment paper, then grease the parchment paper. The parchment paper helps the cakes seamlessly release from the pans.
- Make the cake: Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder together in a large bowl. Set aside. Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or you can use a whisk), mix the oil, eggs, and vanilla together on medium-high speed until combined. Add the warm water and mix until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, add the warm water, and whisk or beat on low speed until the batter is completely combined. Batter is thin.
- Divide batter evenly between pans. Bake for 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Baking times vary, so keep an eye on yours. (Note: Even if they are completely done, the cooled cakes may *slightly* sink in the centre. Cocoa powder is simply not as structurally strong as all-purpose flour and can’t hold up to all the moisture necessary to make a moist tasting chocolate cake. It’s normal!)
- Remove the cakes from the oven and set on a wire rack. Allow to cool completely in the pan.
- Assemble and add the Orange Luisella Chocolate Spread: If cooled cakes are domed on top, use a large serrated knife to slice a thin layer off the tops to create a flat surface. This is called “levelling” the cakes. Dicard or crumble over finished cake. Place 1 cake layer on your cake stand or serving plate. Evenly cover the top with Orange Luisella Chocolate Spread. Top with 2nd layer and spread remaining Luisella all over the top and sides. Garnish with chocolate shavings.
- Refrigerate cake for at least 30-60 minutes before slicing. This helps the cake hold its shape when cutting.
- Cover leftover cake tightly and store in the refrigerator for 5 days.